Friday, August 29, 2008

Guess I can't complain too much, but...

Barack Obama's speech last night to accept the Democratic nomination for President of the United States and to lay out his goals for his administration was almost everything that I could have expected. It was inspiring, emotional, challenging, historic, and I can go on and on. So should I be concerned that the greatest killer of people of African descent in history wasn't mentioned? Am I being nick-picky? Just because George Bush has made it a priority, should I have expected Barack to follow suit? After all, there are many other important issues that we face, as a country. Maybe I am biased, but I just feel that HIV/AIDS is one of them. I hope and pray that he makes it a priority of his administration after he gets elected.

1 comment:

XPERIENCES.... said...

Nick-picky???? I wouldn't say that, but unfortunately, HIV/AIDS is not at the forefront of people's mind. We have issues like unemployment, violence, failing education systems, value of the dollar and the overall economy. This is not to say that public health issues should be pushed aside, but the reality is it going to be. I think as a community we need to continue to push the issues that matter to us and we need to PUSH HARD so that the message is HEARD. Barack Obama is making history and we need to take joy in that as a people, as African Americans, as Americans. Obama is playing one of the hardest chess matches anyone I know will ever play.....so let's give him some time.